Centennial Plaza

Ponca City Attractions - Centennial Plaza

 
     
 
 
 

 

Centennial Plaza

 

City Hall serves as the backdrop for Ponca City's Centennial Plaza. In keeping with the spirit of the Cherokee Strip Land Run, citizens purchased 6,527 personalized bricks to stake their claim in the new Centennial Plaza and make their families a permanent part of Ponca City's history.

 

The brick plaza with the named bricks surrounds the DAR Memorial fountain and War Memorial tablet erected in 1925 by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Centennial Statue sculpted by Jo Saylors.

 

The Ponca City Memorial Fountain, a beloved community focal point, was constructed by the Ponca City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in memory of the men and women who served during World War I. H.A. "Jack Mertz and the DAR restored it in 1981; the Ponca City and Pioneer Rotary Clubs funded another renovation in 1993.

Today this historic fountain makes use of advanced LED technology and intelligent control to generate light shows that synchronize with the water sprays to produce choreographed, color-changing effects. This latest restoration was a work by love by Forrest Mertz of Mertz, Inc. and the Mertz family in memory of his parents, H.A. "Jack" and Hattie Mertz, the Ponca City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and all veterans in 2003.

 

Centennial Plaza is the home of 3 of Ponca City's favorite sculptures.

The statue of Lew Wentz on the southeast comer honors Louis Haines Wentz, one of Ponca City's most generous benefactors. Sculpted by Jo Saylors, the sculpture was a gift from
a group of citizens who wanted to honor the memory of Mr. Wentz.

E.W. Marland's statue, on the southwest comer, originally sat on the grounds of the Marland estate. Mr. Marland loved art, particularly sculpture, and commissioned this work from Jo Davidson. His widow, Lydie Marland, donated the statue to Ponca City in 1941.

Centennial Monument anchors the plaza and commemorates the historic land run into Oklahoma Territory on September 16, 1893. Jo Saylors created this masterpiece, which was a gift to Ponca City through donations from citizens.